For most of its history, the land your house sits on was merely a passageway between Georgetown and Rockville, and points West. The Rockville-Georgetown Pike was at one time an Indian Trail, and in the 1750’s was used by General Braddock’s army on its way to attack the French and Indians in Pittsburgh. By 1800, “the Pike” carried a stage line twice a week between Frederick and Georgetown. During the War of 1812, the Pike was used by government officials fleeing the British invasion of Washington City.

In 1806, the Rockville Turnpike began. In 1829, toll booths were erected along its length, and a booth was built at the present-day Strathmore Avenue. In the early 1800’s tobacco was a staple crop grown in RCA-land. A former slave inspired Harriet Beecher Stowe’s novel, Uncle Tom’s Cabin. That former slave, Josiah Henson, lived in a cabin at 11420 Old Georgetown Road, which is attached to an 18th century house (a private residence).

In the 1860’s, the small town of Montrose was located near Rockville Pike and Old Georgetown Rd. All that remains is the two-room school house located at 5721 Randolph Road.

In 1873, the Metropolitan Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad was completed through North Bethesda, with train stations at Twinbrook (Halpine Road) and Randolph Road (at the present-day intersection of the RR tracks and Randolph Rd).

In 1919, Georgetown Prep moved from its original site in Old Georgetown Heights, where it was established in 1789, to its present location at Rockville Pike and Strathmore Ave. In 1920, Strathmore Hall was built, as the estate of Charles Corby, who was prominent in the baking industry.

During the 1950’s RCA-land was developed from farmland. Our area developed slowly in the 1960’s, and then increased rapidly in the 1970’s.